Friday, August 18, 2017

I was saddened this morning to see a good friend posting the same bullsh** the President spewed this week - the idea that the Statue of Liberty would be the next statue taken down; the equating of Black Lives Matter and the hilarious term "Antifa" with Nazis and White Nationalists, as though defending your own rights was somehow stooping to the level of those using violence to take other people's rights away.

And I don't know what I'll say when I next see him. 

Because to me those posts are as treasonous to the concept of America the melting pot, America of the American Dream, where any person can become a success regardless of race, religion, ethnicity, or creed, as the marching, tiki-torch bearing Nazis themselves.... except at least those @$$wipes were brave enough to stand for their sick, twisted beliefs instead of just posting them on Facebook and hoping nobody of consequence noticed how filled with hatred they were. 

And hypocritically, I'm simply replying on Facebook, because as I said I'm at a loss as to how to handle this situation. Jesus taught me to love my enemies. He even told me how to treat those who acted like friends but were hateful behind our backs, as this person proved to be: to shake the dust off my shoes and not darken that door again. But my disbelief is overwhelming my Christianity. I've spent a decade alongside this person, and until now I've had no reason not to respect completely. But I will never be able to see this person in that light again, and that breaks my heart. Like the majority of the country feels about 45 - that this was THE egregious, bigoted, anti-American stance that was the unforgivable sin as President - that's how I feel about these posts.

And I'm sick to my stomach about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment