Monday, May 1, 2017

Foreigners

Christians, beware. The current American administration wants to round up all of the illegal aliens in this country and deport us back to our country of origin.

Yes, I said "us". You and me both.

There's even a hotline now available, highly publicized by the Trump administration (which apparently never checked within its own system to realize there was ALREADY one in place in the federal government. So much for efficiency of services.), for people to call in and "snitch" on their neighbors. [What's happened, of course, is that the folks who can still laugh about this White House are calling in with reports of space aliens, rather than Hispanics as the administration was aiming for.] 

But we too are aliens in this country - on this earth - and the only documentation we have from our land of origin is the Bible. Reading the words of the apostle Paul in his letter to the Philippians, 3:17-21, he is very clear in verse 20:

17"Brothers, join in imitating me, and keep your eyes on those who walk according to the example you have in us. 18For many, of whom I have often told you and now tell you even with tears, walk as enemies of the cross of Christ. 19Their end is destruction, their god is their belly, and they glory in their shame, with minds set on earthly things. 20But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, 21Who will transform our lowly body to be like His glorious body, by the power that enables Him even to subject all things to Himself."

Simon Peter, the leader of the twelve apostles, says at the very beginning of his epistle (this is 1st Peter 1:3-5),

3"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to His great mercy, He has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you5who by God’s power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time."

Christ Himself taught us that when we are born again, we become residents of the Kingdom of God. (John 3:5). He tried to teach this to the Pharisees, in John 8, but as always they failed to understand his meaning:  

21So He said to them again, “I am going away, and you will seek Me, and you will die in your sin. Where I am going, you cannot come.” 23He said to them, “You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world. 24I told you that you would die in your sins, for unless you believe that I am He, you will die in your sins.” 25So they said to him, “Who are You?” Jesus said to them, “Just what I have been telling you from the beginning." (John 8:21, 23-25)

In chapter 14 of John's Gospel, he quotes Christ's description of our future residence, back in the Kingdom of Heaven:

1“Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. 2In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? 3And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. 4And you know the way to where I am going.” 5Thomas said to him, “Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?” 6Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7If you had known me, you would have known my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him.”
10"Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on My own authority, but the Father who dwells in Me does His works. 11Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in Me, or else believe on account of the works themselves."

Jesus says to His disciples, point blank, I Am God. And yet some of them still worry. "Until I tell you there's a problem, don't panic. Things may be strange here in the next few days, but believe Me: it's all under control!"

Do you have a green card to work here in the United States? (Or Canada, or Australia, or wherever you're reading this from?) Do you have a passport? Or a visa? None of us do, but we know where our loyalties lie. 

1Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. 2And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 3And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be His people, and God Himself will be with them as their God. 4He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.”
5And he who was seated on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.” Also He said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.” 6And He said to me, “It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give from the spring of the water of life without payment. 7The one who conquers will have this heritage, and I will be his God and he will be My son. 8But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.” (Revelation 21:1-8)

When push comes to shove, we are citizens of Heaven first. Our obedience is to our Heavenly Ruler, our God and Lord Jesus Christ, before it goes to our country and our president, whether that be Mr. Trump, Mr. Obama, Mr. Trudeau, or anyone else temporarily installed in office by God Almighty. Governments come and go, but the Lord is Everlasting. We will spend less than 120 years here on earth, but we'll spend eternity in Heaven. (Or Hell, if you've backslid too far, or you haven't taken care of that business from Rev 21:8 when the time comes!)

So, do as all tourists do when you're visiting a 'foreign country'! Enjoy your stay, meet new people, learn the customs, and don't forget to share your stories about your Home Country with the locals who might want to go there someday!


PS - I've always appreciated the irony of this: given the meaning of the Number of the Beast in Revelation, consider what John 6:66 says...
66After this many of His disciples turned back and no longer walked with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment