Thursday, November 30, 2017

A month of thankfulness. Part One

I want to share these posts with you, to help you consider what you are thankful for. Perhaps some are identical, perhaps some are analogous, perhaps some are completely foreign to you. But the thing that should stick with you is having an ATTITUDE of GRATITUDE, always. Just this one simple change in your life, on its own, can transform you.
Some of the details of these posts are rather personal; obviously, I'm not revealing anything i don't want to reveal. At this late stage, my life is an open book for reading and enhancement of others. But it also means there may be things which don't make sense because you don't know my background. Hopefully it will be clear enough in context, but leave a comment if there's something that's unclear, and I'll clarify. May God bless you in this season of thankfulness. 

A month of thanks. No different than any other month, except the thanks are also on this blog.
Nov 1. I thank God that I am one of His Elect. First and foremost, I am thankful for my relationship with Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior.


A month of thanks. No different than any other month, except the thanks are also on this blog. 
Nov 2. I am thankful for having Dana in my life. The fact that she loves me is more than I can believe most days. I’m unable to drive any distance anymore, so she ends up having to come see me most of the time, as I tremble in pain at the end of each day. I don't know how she puts up with it. I’m so glad she wasn’t here last night (or worse yet, that I wasn’t there) because I spent the whole night screaming in pain. As amazed as I am at her love, I almost literally couldn’t do without her now. She is a literal God-send, brought to me by a Lord Who knows that I need to submit to His Will, and be willing to allow her to help me even when my stubbornness and pride fight against it. She is the perfect partner at the perfect time of my life, and I will never, never be able to thank her sufficiently for what she means to me in these last years of my life.


A month of thanks. No different than any other month, except the thanks are also on this blog. 
Nov 3. I am thankful for this school district. The Jerome school district (specifically Eric Anderson) graciously kept me employed when I couldn’t keep stick-waving once I got sick, putting me in charge of the alternative school (a much more sedentary job). But after two more years of deterioration it was clear I couldn’t even handle that job any more on my own, so rather than encourage me to retire, the district (specifically Dale Layne) brought on an assistant, an amazing woman who deserves a day of thanks all her own.
Now, 2 1/2 years of increasing pain and fatigue down the road, it’s time to throw in the towel. But because the district was willing to let me start each year despite the doubt over my ability to finish that year, I have the flexibility to start looking into disability retirement mid-year, and the district (specifically Gina Cakebread) is helping with the paperwork.
When I taught band, the district treated me like royalty. Once I couldn’t do what I was hired for, they still treat me like royalty. And I am so thankful to have this be my last stop in the field.



A month of thanks. No different than any other month, except the thanks are also on this blog. 
Nov 4. I am so thankful for Wendy Somerset, who Dale Layne called in to be my assistant after I'd run the alternative school for two years. I was continuing to deteriorate, and my superintendent realized I wouldn't make it through another year of that alone.
What he probably didn't know was what an angel God was sending me through him. She took as her professional mission the task of keeping me teaching for as long as she possibly could - and I guarantee the last three years would have been literally impossible. She has taken everything off my shoulders that she possibly could. There have been more and more occasions when all I could do was sit in a chair while she did virtually everything, and she does - and not only never complains, but complains if I TRY to do something when I'm clearly not up to it. I walked in Thursday, hobbling in pain, and she hollered, "What are you doing here? Go home! I've got this." So I turned around and walked out the door momentarily, freaking the students out as she explained to them why she was playing mom.
Because she's not only my teaching partner, she's my "den mom", my Christian sister, my angel, my career support, and (except for Dana) my best friend. And it broke her heart as much as mine when I had to call PERSI about retirement paperwork.

A month of thanks. No different than any other month, except that it’s on this blog. 
Nov 5. I am thankful for my parents. My mother, Dorothy Alice Smith, was an amazing woman. My father, Stanley Eugene Smith, was a brilliant man. And as is the case with most children, I didn’t appreciate them sufficiently when they were alive.
Mom died when I was 20; Dad, when I was 27. They never met Wendy. They never met Dana. They never got to meet their grandchildren. They did know Melissa, and my kids were always astounded to hear stories of teenaged Gordon from her. But most of all, they got to see their grandparents through someone else’s eyes besides mine.

Through mine, what they see is love - respect - affection - hugs - wit - brilliance - and the desire to help anyone, everyone who needed it. Above all, they were teachers: not just professionally, but personally. It was a privilege to grow up with them in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment