Wednesday, July 5, 2017

A Walk In The Woods

This is my favorite song to perform that I've ever written. 

Melissa and I used to sing it together whenever she was strong enough to perform with me - she had a beautiful contralto voice, and majored in voice and flute while at Fresno State University. I actually wrote this before I became a Christian, and although it wasn't specifically written about the two of us, it pretty accurately depicts the tension between us over Christianity. She was in touch with the Lord, and I was still....searching for the meaning in life that she'd already taken for granted WOULD soon take residence in my life as well. 

A Walk In The Woods

She -       Sometimes, when I walk in the woods,                                   
                And the sky is starting to blur,
                I think of my long lost childhood friend,                                
                And I feel closer to her.                          
                                        
He -        Sometimes, when we walk in the woods,
                And the raindrops are starting to touch,
                She thinks of her dear departed grandmamma,
                And doesn’t miss her quite as much.

S -           Sometimes, when I walk in the woods,                                   
                And the skies are starting to part,
                I feel close to my God in heaven,                                                
                And He moves me, and touches my heart.  
                                           
H -          Sometimes, when I walk in the woods,
                And the rains continue to fall,
                I try so hard to feel something,
                And I feel…  nothing at all.
                What is out there that’s truly real?
                How can I get in touch with this Holy Mind?
                What am I supposed to feel,
                When I can’t even find the next line?

S -           Let go!                                   H -          Let go? Let go of what?                 
S -           Relax!                                    H -          Relax? How can I do that?

(H -)       When every part of me is desperate
                To find some sign of the infinite?

S -           Everything you’re doing is stopping you from knowing.                 
                Every seed you’re sowing is keeping you from growing:

Both -     You can’t look for the invisible,
                You can’t touch the intangible.
                You can’t explain the inexplicable
                With your logic and reason.
                You can’t find any equation
                That solves the One Great Question.
                You’re searching for The Answer,
                When what you’ll get is a Suggestion…

H -          You act as if there’s something I’ve missed
                In my ignominious search.
                You seem to think there is something wrong
                With my calculated re-search.

S -           Step back!                            H -          Step back? From what, you say?
S -           Give in!                                 H -          From this pursuit? No way!

                I need to learn what’s out there in
                Those great mysterious woods today!

S -           Everything you’re doing is stopping you from knowing.
                Every seed you’re sowing is keeping you from growing:

Both -     You can’t look for the invisible,
                You can’t touch the intangible.
                You can’t explain the inexplicable
                With your logic and reason.
                You can’t find any equation
                That solves the One Great Question.
                You’re searching for The Answer,
                When what you’ll get is a Suggestion…

H -          I give up… I’ve failed.
                I’ve tried, to no avail.
                I don’t have the strength to fight about this anymore…

S -          (spoken) Good. Now you can just…listen.                             
                 
H -          (spoken quietly, in a moment of revelation) Oh!

                (sung) Sometimes when I walk in the woods,
                And I stop trying so hard to see,
                I search within to feel something,

                And I find… something bigger than me.

No comments:

Post a Comment