Monday, September 4, 2017

The Universe and God in Twelve Dimensions

This is the opening chapter of my upcoming book, A Step Sideways: The Universe And God In Twelve Dimensions, and the primary purpose of the book will be made obvious very quickly. I hope you enjoy the premise, and that you'll be intrigued enough to want to read the book when it's finished. Enjoy! 

Dimension 0
A point.
A single point has no length, width, or height. It has no size whatsoever, no dimension. When we exist in one solitary point, we exist in Dimension Zero.


            Waxahachie, Texas, was a quiet enough town in 2017, when those four private investors decided that their way of “making America great again” was to finish the Superconducting Super Collider underneath the town – heck, underneath a good chunk of Ellis County, if you think about it. Dang thing’s over fifteen miles in diameter, fifty-four miles around, you know? And I think in their good ol’ boy Texas hearts and wallets, they’d’ve made the dang thing even bigger if more than a quarter of it hadn’t already been dug, just sitt’n there waiting for them to finish the job.
            But even now, thirteen years later, with the population doubled thanks to the SSC, Waxahachie’s still a pretty peaceful place. It’s still somewhere that you would feel good raising a family, you know?
            Too bad I don’t have a family to raise here.
            I’ve only been back here for a year, almost two, since they opened the SSC in late ‘28. I say “back” here, because one of my three degrees came from here, from the Southwestern Assemblies of God University, class of 2018. (Go, Lions!) Even played a little football there, like I did back in Burkbuckett – heck, you can’t be six-foot-anything in Texas and not play football, you know? Nothing special: NAIA-level lineman, was never going to start anyway, not even in the Central States League. But I got to play some, and I learned about teamwork on the field while I learned about God and a ton of other topics in the classroom.
            So, to fill in the missing years in my resume there, insert a second bachelor’s in mathematics from SMU – guarantee I wasn’t going to make the team there, even though I did have a year of eligibility left! – and my doctorate in particle physics from UT-Austin, knowing what was coming down the pike back there in Waxahachie.
            Because, see, here’s the thing: I’ve been a Christian all my life. Raised in the Assembly of God, went to church every Sunday, spoke my share of tongues, took enough communion to have eaten Christ’s entire arm off. (Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned…) But even after being ordained, I knew there was something missing, something fundamentally wrong in the way I was connecting to the Lord. I was twenty-two years old, bachelors of divinity in hand, ready to go find me a nice church population to tend – and yet, I knew I wasn’t quite ready yet, you know? There was something… well, I don’t want to keep using the word “fundamental”, but that’s what it was: something foundational that was missing. A brick lacking in my cornerstone that would topple the entire structure one day through its absence.
            And as I was starting my senior year at SAGU, the news came out about the four oil men who had decided to take President Trump’s slogan to heart. They’d made a killing in the resurgent oil market that year, and wanted to do something significant. (I keep using the fundamental; they kept using the word significant. Guess we’re all a bit semantically fixated sometimes.) And they’d been looking into what the situation was with the Super Collider that was mothballed back in 1994 (I wasn’t even alive back then!), found out the tunnels that existed were still in great shape, that a chem company called Magnablend had bought the site but not done anything with it yet, and decided over beer and ribs to buy the thing and “to run them CERN folks into the ground.” (Their words, not mine. I’m a team player, remember?)
            So they did. Buy it, I mean. The CERN Large Hadron Collider’s done some amazing work in the fifteen, twenty years it’s been smashing particles, and its reputation is safe from us. But it wasn’t “us” back in 2017, of course; it was “them”. As in, “Them oil men are going to make fools of themselves, reinvesting in that white elephant! Don’t they know it got shut down for a reason?”
            They did, in fact, know. Cost overruns. Mostly the cost of the magnets they needed, not so much the tunneling, which it turns out isn’t as big of the budget as you’d think (and even less in 2018, when they’d already had fourteen miles in place before day one!). And the magnets? Well, twenty-five years is a loo-oong time in technology years, and those magnets were much more easily produced, more powerful, and a tenth of the price they were in 1992. So when the original was shut down, the government had spent two billion dollars already, with an expected ten more to spend, before Mr. Clinton reluctantly signed off on its shutdown. By the time these four dudes finished the project in 2028, it had only cost them eight billion, and that’s in today’s pesos! Someth’n to be said for private management and a lack of government bureaucracy, but a big chunk of that savings was the improvement in tech since the nineties.
            And it flicked a switch in me. I’d gotten hooked on science from our chem and physics teacher back in high school, over my mother’s objections. At the time, the big thing in particle science the search for the “God Particle”, the super heavy boson that Peter Higgs and Francois Englert theorized, and CERN found before I graduated from Burkbuckett High School, up on the OK border. When I heard about the Superconducting Super Collider project starting up again in 2017, it renewed that love in my gut for the physics I’d set aside in my devotion to God.
            And it was then that I realized what the missing brick was in my foundational belief system:
            How can I believe the literal translation of my Lord’s Word, as He has given it to us through the prophets in the sixty-six books of the Bible, when the scientific world was making discovery after discovery that seemed to put that Scripture in question?
            Which was right? The Bible, or the Universe?
            Mind you, it’s not like they’re really as contradictory as some people make it sound like they are. Most people don’t realize, for example, that the Bible always assumed the earth was a sphere, unlike most of the societies alive fifteen hundred years before Christ. I was just reading Isaiah 40, which happens to be where I am in my yearly reading straight through of the Bible (and like any lifelong college student, I take such copious notes that I have to work to remember to listen to what God is telling me with his Word each day, not just read and digest it untested). In verse 22, he casually throws in this verse:
It is He who sits above the circle of the earth,
and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers…
            The “circle of the earth”? The actual Hebrew word means “sphere” – so they called it a globe for hundreds of years before the Greeks and Romans watched sailors disappear below the horizon and famously realized the earth is round. (Yes, there were backwards stragglers who thought Columbus and Magellan would fall of the edge, but they were just stupid, not the norm.)
            We could go on and on… Do you know why God told man to circumcise male Hebrew babies on the eighth day of life in particular? Scientists have recently ascertained that the combination of wound coagulation (which increases over time as babies live their first month) and comfort of the surgery (while babies do feel pain, despite calls to the contrary by fools, it is less at birth than down the road) makes the eighth day the ideal date for circumcision for the health and well-being of the baby! And God knew that already and ordered it for His People from the very beginning!
            Many of the food restrictions of the Old Testament were obviously designed to keep the nomadic Israelites healthy and alive, and that’s partially why some of them were rescinded in Christ’s time – they were no longer medically necessary. The most obvious of these is the restriction on eating pork, a meat that turns deadly when it starts to go unrefrigerated. God chose simply to forbid his nomadic people the deadliest meats (there are long lists of animals that are ‘unclean’, although some of those are designed to keep up away from animals that the idolatrous pagans around them worshipped).
            There are literally dozens of these “coincidences”, and all of these things add up. I was certain that there was more method than madness to the Bible’s many rules, statutes, commandments, and so forth. But I couldn’t put my finger on it.
So I decided, two months before graduation, that I needed to find an answer to that all-important question if I was to become a true servant of God, and certainly before I could shepherd anyone else. So I applied to and got accepted at Southern Methodist University in Dallas (Go, Mustangs!), majoring in mathematics with an engineering specialization, with the sole intent on going on to graduate work in particle physics. Three years later, I was working with amazing physicists like Willy Fischler and Duane Dicus and Jacques Distler at the University of Texas at Austin (Go, Longhorns!), learning everything I prayed I would need to get on at the SSC when it opened in a few years.
            Four years there left me just enough time to get some practical experience at one of the National Accelerator Labs (the one out in the South Bay, near where the 49ers played. Even got to see a couple of NFL games there, including seeing my beloved Cowboys play!), plus a trip to Switzerland as a “visiting scientist” (sounds like I was some high-fallutin’ hotshot!) for three months to study what the folks at CERN were doing now, before I landed the cherished gig back here in Waxahachie, studying and working on whatever our calling would be.
I had no idea what projects I’d be working on, but I knew it would have importance. And I knew it would bring me closer to my goal – the understanding of the relationship between God and the Universe he’s created.
            So, there’s my life and career in a nutshell up until now. And all of it was aimed at answering one question, reconciling one conflict in my world’s paradigm. For example, in all my years, I’ve never had a serious girlfriend. Why? Well, before I left high school, it was mostly because I was a math geek, and afterwards, my studies always took precedence. And today, thirty-one years after birth, I’m still lost in those studies, in the question that supersedes all other questions:

            How do I reconcile what the Bible says with what modern science says?
            Amazingly, I got the chance to find out.

            And now, I get to share that knowledge with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment